Thursday, August 7, 2008

This is a story I wrote for the school'd mag..mayb its lame

Spring that lives forever

Winter ends,
Announcing the arrival of spring,
Coldness is gone,
Allowing warmth to come,
Flowers bloom newly from its seedlings,
New life’s born but mine’s ending
.


There are always come and go in this very world we are living in. Some people say, the new wouldn’t come if the old don’t go. It’s the season of spring now. It is such a warm feeling to feel the heat from the sun. The soothing warmth breeze that calm down my mind.

It is 8 o’clock in the morning now in Nagasaki, Japan. Knock, knock. “Shiyou, breakfast is ready.”There goes Maria, my personal nurse, who had been taking care of me ever since the death of my parents. My parents died in a flight accident when they were heading to the United States to find a pair of healing hands for me. They died when I was only 15 years old.

I am Shiyouka Haninozuka. I was named after the flower, Hydrangea, which blooms during this temperate season of spring. I pretty much represent the flower as my mood changes every now and then. Hydrangea changes its colour from white to blue, red, pink or purple according to the acidity of the soil. It is exactly similar with the swinging mood of mine.

I am now, standing by the window sill, looking out of it, and right towards the ‘ Moonland”, the place where only yellow dandelions are grown, which is situated 6 kilometers away from this four-walled room. The breeze made the small tiny little dandelions’ to sway with the direction of it. My ears, listening to the music of spring, sang by the wind-bell that hung by the window side. This is the promised spring of mine. Does he remember our promise?

He left Nagasaki for Toronto the last spring. But, we made a promised that we will meet again the next spring, that is, now. Nathan is my childhood friend. We are bonded with a strong force. We helped each other, completes the unfinished words of one another, we are like two bodies that share the same soul. We are incomplete without one another and so, we are meant to be together.

The sound of the wind-bell assured me that the next morning had arrived. I opened my eyes but I thought I was still in the dream. It was Nathan who appears before me. At that instant I could barely believe in my very own eyes. Those eyes that gives me the reflection of him. I was not dreaming. He did came back to fulfill our promise.

Reuniting with someone who had been far away from you during the spring brings you more warmth than ever.

Last spring, we promised that we will meet up again. And now, here we are again, together. Nathan said he would like to bring me out from the cardiac therapy centre. The doctor gave him permission and we went to the Spring Festival. It had been 2 years ever since the last time I step my foot out of the therapy centre’s ground. The last time I went out was to attend my parents’ funeral procession. The festival was flooded by the people of Nagasaki. The whole street was decorated with colourful flowers and all sorts’ kind of stall was set up. Looking afar from the festive street, I saw the ”Moonland.” I had always wished to go there. It had been two months since Nathan stayed in Nagasaki. Spring is reaching its’ end.

Fate showed its’ cruelty to me. In the midst of a night, my chest pained as if a huge stone was bumping on it and my breathe shortens every seconds passed by. And finally I lost my consciousness. I woke up and found myself admitted to the Nagasaki hospital. I was told that my heart functions poorly as the aortic regurgitation worsen. That evening itself, Nathan secretly took me out to the “Moonland” that I had always been watching from afar. He knew I wanted to come here even though I didn’t even mention a word about it.

No heart beats were felt. The world turns black. I collapsed and fell onto the dandelions’. Nathan screamed aloud my name, Shiyouka. Is that the last word I can hear?

One month later, I found myself, conscious, on the bed in the hospital again. My heart beats strongly yet I felt sorrow deep within it. As if my heart was bleeding, tearing apart. I was told that a donor appeared. And that had saved my life.

Spring ended, and it is now summer. Yet, Nathan is nowhere to be seen, not even his shadow. Soon, I felt something strange. I had an uneasy feeling about Nathan. Yet, I waited for him patiently. Summer ended and it is now the season of autumn. Autumn is the saddest season I have ever had. It revealed me the truth behind my survival, the disappearance of Nathan. “Shiyouka” wasn’t the last word I heard; instead, it was Nathan’s last word. He got hit by a car when he was carrying me back to the hospital at the time when I collapsed on the dandelions’. He died as he tried to protect me from getting knocked down by the car. Not only that, he gave me, a life that I merely lost.

The ever warmth is spring,
And that’s where we met,
The awaits lies on summer,
Where he is nowhere to be seen,
The ever sad is autumn,
As this is when he left me, forever,
The longing visits winter,
Where I spent the nights’ longing for his return,
Here comes the spring, again,
And how should I be now…….

I understand that, the death shall never return and the alive shall move on. As the time will never stop instead it continues on running at its own pace. Here I am, standing in the middle of the “Moonland,” together with him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nah.. Not lame..
its ori guaranteed..
no offence, just that it resembles some other movies n stories..
hahaa.. u r good, but still can do better de!!